Moving our more advanced stuff to Magento

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving our more advanced stuff to Magento

As some of you know I really love Shopify. I think it's an amazing turn key system for getting into the ecommerce game. However what makes it super simple also gives it great limitations as you scale and want to grow.

I think we'll continue to test all new products using Shopify as our cart solution. But if you want things like 1 click upsells control over your processing through gateways, tie in's to call floor software, and various other things.... Shopify definitely becomes limiting.

So test your market for your product first using Shopify... then move to another solution.

So we're at that point with Shopfiy and our first product we're using it for. So I went at researched every cart solution out there open cart, ultracart, volusion, etc, etc. The bottom line is the only ones I could find that catered to ecommerce and let you control the billing process through API's was Lime Light and Magento. By ecommerce solution I mean collects calculates, taxes, handles fulfillment, coupons, etc. I'm sure there's others but LL is the industry standard for the business I'm in. It's a great hosted solution that many people use...

For me I wanted to have control of the code so we can make our cart solution bad ass. So because of that we spun up a Amazon server and decided to build out what we're doing in Magento. We have fairly decent tech resources and my CTO is an expert at Magento already. So we were up in running with all our 1 click upsells in a few hours.

So far it's a great solution and it's free.

Been talking with my CTO and we've discussed building an Amazon image file that people can deploy on Amazon cloud with a could of clicks. This would allow you to deploy Magento and have it all setup with a typically funnel with 1 click upsells.

If this is interesting to anyone please respond back here. If we have 10-20 people say they would like something like this we can build it out in a few hours. Just want to make sure people would like this solution.

Hope this helps.
    Jason Akatiff, CEO - A4D Performance | Follow Me on Twitter | Read my Blog
    >> A4D - CPA Network, 8 years in business, never missed a payment. Sign Up Here! | NEW Skype: live:jasona_33 <<<

Been talking with my CTO and we've discussed building an Amazon image file that people can deploy on Amazon cloud with a could of clicks. This would allow you to deploy Magento and have it all setup with a typically funnel with 1 click upsells.
    That would be great, I'd use that.
    Ideas are everywhere, it's execution that's in short supply.

Comment

I'm also using Magento for one of my stores. I would definitely be interested in more customized checkouts, and the ability to create a nice upsell/downsell funnel which you can track and optimize. The standard magento extensions out there are not really that good and doesn't do what we want most of the times.

One issue I have is that I sell in Europe (NL , BE , DE, etc) and most of the payments are not done by CC but by online bank transfers. Which makes it impossible to do one click upsells after the customer has placed and paid for their initial order.

So in my case there are 2 options:

1) When the customer has paid for the initial order they would get redirected to the upsell page/funnel instead of the usual "thank you page" and if they decide to buy something, they will have to go trough the checkout page again, fill out their details (or let the system pro populate that data) and complete their payment.

- I've actually had someone code this for me but at the time it was not a great solution. As i do not have the tech skills I could not explain how it should work technically and I lost the ability to track where my conversions came from. (and tracking the funnel was impossible)

2) Create an upsell funnel before they go to the checkout and pay. This way you do have the possibility that you lose the initial sale when someone leaves due the upset funnel

I'm sure curious how your checkout process and upsell funnel looks like now Jason.

Comment

I run a VERY small pet supplies business, and don't know much about hosting. I'm switching my old HTML website (that was how the site was when I purchased the business prom the previous owner) to a Magento site using the Clear Vision theme (http://www.templatemonster.com/magento-themes.php), which matches perfectly with my vision of the new website's layout. Consequently, I've been researching hosting companies. Now, having read your thoughts, I wonder what hosting options are available that are really geared/optimized for Magento stability. And do I really need dedicated hosting or VPS?

Comment

Originally posted by morbigh View Post
          I run a VERY small pet supplies business, and don't know much about hosting. I'm switching my old HTML website (that was how the site was when I purchased the business prom the previous owner) to a Magento site using the Clear Vision theme (http://www.templatemonster.com/magento-themes.php), which matches perfectly with my vision of the new website's layout. Consequently, I've been researching hosting companies. Now, having read your thoughts, I wonder what hosting options are available that are really geared/optimized for Magento stability. And do I really need dedicated hosting or VPS?

I'd look at Amazon. They have a single button click turn key image file. Also, I'd stick with the older Magento as the new one doesn't have many plugins yet.
          Jason Akatiff, CEO - A4D Performance | Follow Me on Twitter | Read my Blog
          >> A4D - CPA Network, 8 years in business, never missed a payment. Sign Up Here! | NEW Skype: live:jasona_33 <<<

Comment

Originally posted by smaxor View Post

I think this is a great idea aswell, at the moment im using konnektive CRM but being able to control all the aspects of the business and still save some money in the CRM would be definitively something i would be down for.

Comment

This is a great idea. this would help me move away from wordpress.

Comment

I'd be interested.

Comment

Yo, since you're all talking about it, one-click launchers on AWS are nice and easy for sure, but it'd be wise to pay attention to a current revolution happening in IT systems management that are highly relevant here.

Very suddenly and to many people's extreme hesitation, adoption for "containerization" is spreading like wildfire. You've probably heard of a tool called Docker. I won't get into what it is or why it's great, but relevant to this discussion is this --

https://hub.docker.com/r/paimpozhil/magento-docker/

^^ That's an image for a Magento install. If you have Docker on your Mac, you can boot a local magento and play with it.
                  If you have an Ubuntu server (recommend 15.xx as the bleeding edge contains lots of container-friendly improvements), you can start magento today with SUPER MINIMAL LEGWORK --

Code:
                  # 1) Install Docker
                  $ wget -qO- https://get.docker.com | sh

# 2) Start MySQL  + Memcache
                  $ docker run -td --name mariadb -e USER=user -e PASS=password paintedfox/mariadb
                  $ docker run --name memcached -d -p 11211 sylvainlasnier/memcached

# 3) Run Magento
                  $ docker run -p 80:80 -link mariadb:db --link memcached:cache -td paimpozhil/magento-docker
                  Containers are new, and this might seem stupid and irrelevant to you, but in the next 1-2 years, there will be a *flood* of webhosts that provision containers instead of servers for you, and if you know a little linux sysadmin but you hate getting your hands dirty, you will rejoice in the utmost for this new era of glory.

I'm not just talking about "it sure will be nice when..." here, either, I personally use docker containers for even my simplest deployments right now. Landing pages (PHP+NGINX+Dropbox -- jealous?), Wordpress with Memcache, even my adservers are all designed as containers. No more "apt-get install" or "./configure && make && make install", setting up webservices on your machines is now just a short one-liner away.

A "one click launcher for _____" is quickly doomed to become a novelty that really only shaves off a short extra step -- Launch a new server and run a docker container today. This will be every bit as disruptive/important as AWS was 10 years ago. This will change how you run your sites forever, and you can get started with it right now.
                  Last edited by leewardbound; 03-16-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

For me I wanted to have control of the code so we can make our cart solution bad ass. So because of that we spun up a Amazon server and decided to build out what we're doing in Magento. We have fairly decent tech resources and my CTO is an expert at Magento already. So we were up in running with all our 1 click upsells in a few hours.

So far it's a great solution and it's free.

How does the 1 click upsell work? After the customer clicks on the order confirmation button?

I'm very interested in a 1 click upsell solution for our Magento stores. But in the country we operate, credit cards e.g. come with 3D secure enabled, which will make the 1 click upsell more complicated.

Comment

This would be really helpful if you do Jason

Comment

Interested.

Comment

What do you use Click Funnels for? I assume market testing prior to Shopify?

Comment

I've been using magento for a few years, heres some things i'd recommend:

Fire checkout extension - 1 page checkout
                            Magemail.co - Will handle all your follow up emailing and convert your abandoned carts like gold
                            Magemojo.com - Magento optimized hosting

Comment

Definitely interested in this... using Infusionsoft right now. What a nightmare it is to setup a new funnel from scratch.

Comment

Working...
                              X