Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $250-800k/mo just emailing your list

Hi Guys,

I"m very interested in the lead funnel model and email marketing Jason discussed in this post
    http://productsquad.com/forum/product-mar...arketing-model
    which links to a great digital marketer article covering the strategy in more depth.

Building a "machine" that collects cold leads via a lead capture device (giveaway, report etc) funnels them into an auto responder sequence and segments them based on action and interests seems like great business model.
    Especially as an easy transition for affiliates with traffic generation skills to become asset owners (the list) and eventually product creators.

In a post on STM Jason mentions mailers earning $250-800k/mo from their lists.
    "I have affiliate friends that have done these exact strategies and make roughly $250-800k/mo just emailing their lists. The golden ticket is if you can run traffic to something, capture that user and make them yours, then monetize them profitably with a 3rd party offer.
    This way you build a list of all your customers as an asset inside your business. For those of you that have run 100's of thousands in sales. imagine if you had that list of people to retarget, then email. You have a very valuable asset that is now sellable and worth money to someone. Campaigns are only worth the cash flow they generate in the time being. A list is a valuable asset over time. Start building one today."
    http://stackthatmoney.com/forum/show...l=1#post219968

my question is, what sort of vertical/products could support those numbers?
    Does it have to be consumer? in one of the big ever green verticals? diet, fitness, make money online, gambling systems, investing?

i imagine the criteria for market selection would be:
    huge market
    hungry demand
    lots of relevant aff offers

what do you guys think?

-tom

Yeah you are on the right track. There are a lot of opportunities in the big three verticals - health, wealth and relationships. I know affiliates/business owners that do that in different verticals, real estate investing info products, self help, forex/stock trading systems, jobs, diet/health, bizzops/make money online, survival/prepper, coupons, etc.

It's good to have lots of offers available in the market, but also a good idea to build your own. I also recommend watching what you send them so you keep them happy.

I helped a business partner with some consulting for a famous self help guru a few years ago that had about 350k people on his main list which allowed him to make a lot of money every month and be at or near the top of every self help product launch that he wanted to take part in. He also started a small email list of positive quotes that mailed every day and put ads on the bottom of the email for info products or reports or whatever, mostly his own stuff, and was doing low $xx,xxx a month without even trying to sell anything, people just read the quotes and some of them bought stuff.

Also, think of affinity groups. Large groups of people who feel passionately about something. Not too difficult to build a list of those people, just need to be able to monetize them. Look at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ I don't know Tim Schmidt, but I've heard he has done very well with what started as a website and turned into an Association that charges $13 to $30 a month and has a big list. His traffic stats are pretty strong and he has been advertising and sending people to a lead capture page for years so it must be working. Model his site if you want to start an Association for a group of people who feel passionately about something and are willing to spend money on their passion or ideals.

Preppers and survivalists have been hot for a few years. there have been some CPA offers like Patriot Survival Plan that have done really well and some marketers that have built multi-million dollar businesses in the niche by building lists. Also look at Stansberry Research offers, they cater to people who believe the world is coming to an end or there will be a financial meltdown and you better buy a product and sign up for their newsletter. They are great marketers, bring out new offers pretty often and test like crazy.

Newsletters are also good business models to build a list. I'm familiar with a lot of them in the financial vertical and whether it's investing in gold, alternative investments, real estate investing, stocks, currencies, you name it, someone is selling a newsletter, building a list and cashing in.

I'm sure some other people will jump in here. This is a great business model and there are so many great tools available now to put it all together.
    Last edited by Eric; 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM.
    Ideas are everywhere, it's execution that's in short supply.

Comment

Hi eric.
      thanks alot for your reply.

usconcealed and carry is very interesting. I see he's selling insurance policies now.
      https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/usc...reCovered&kmi=
      best business in the world

when you're starting your list. Do you think it needs to be targeted to a specific problem. for example erectile dysfunction. or would a more general men's interest work?

Comment

Originally posted by hlyghst View Post
        Hi eric.
        thanks alot for your reply.

usconcealed and carry is very interesting. I see he's selling insurance policies now.
        https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/usc...reCovered&kmi=
        best business in the world

when you're starting your list. Do you think it needs to be targeted to a specific problem. for example erectile dysfunction. or would a more general men's interest work?

I think there's a careful balance between too broad and too narrow.

I'd probably narrow in more then just men's interest. Men interested in blah. Then you can write a lot more pertinent things. Rich menthat like fancy stuff. or women with children that are interested in kids activities.

You're engagement and retention is going to be much great like this. You don't want to trap yourself in a corner in a tiny niche but I'd definitely pick some sort of interest and a group to target it to.
        Jason Akatiff, CEO - A4D Performance | Follow Me on Twitter | Read my Blog
        >> A4D - CPA Network, 8 years in business, never missed a payment. Sign Up Here! | NEW Skype: live:jasona_33 <<<

Comment

I agree with Smaxor. Start with narrow or tightly targeted things/topics to build your list but hopefully it's in a vertical that is big enough to build a big list that will buy related stuff.

This is a generic example, but you could start building a list with offers related to men who want to get ripped (or lean with low body fat) and you could build your list with offers that are more narrowly focused with exercise programs, diets, apps, equipment, training programs, nutritional supplements, etc. Segment your lists.

If you have a vertical in mind, I suggest starting by searching for what other people are doing. Sign up for lists that are related to what you are doing and look at their site if they have one. Check traffic stats, keywords they target, use spy tools to see where their ads are running, etc. If they are legit and established and have products and a funnel, buy some and screencast record as you go through it. Keep in mind they might be testing and making changes and the idea is not to copy, but to look at what others are doing and figure out how you can do better. There's a lot you can tell by studying the competition, but there's also a lot you can't tell so use it for inspiration and to verify that it's a legit market then try to beat them with better content, angles, design, etc..

Hope this helps. There are a lot of marketers who do a good job building lists and have a good ROI, you just have to look around.

Comment

I started this process two months ago.

My first target was dog owners (obsessive, love their dog (emotional) and there are heaps of products to sell them). I setup this site as a lead capture - http://www.doggiemail.net/ - and promoting it on FB, Zeropark (domains), PPV and Bing (PPC). But, opt-in rates were below 1%. CPC on FB were around $0.70. I've since put this campaign on hold and started targeting.... Weight loss.

Big niche. Emotional topic. Others are making money so I can steal/copy.

I've attached my current opt-in rates. I started at around 6% and average 15-17%. I published a WP with okay PLR health articles, then pop a lightbox opt-in form 2 seconds in to the visit. Seems to be working pretty well. Will probably fire up FB and native ads later. Once I get the funnel 'working'.

My biggest problem is the sales funnel. I'm using Sendy with Amazon SES. I copied an autoresponder email squence from an eBook but I should have read through the emails. They're boring and the poor open and click rates reflect this. Lesson learned. Email open and click stats attached too. Email four and a few others have links to Clickbank offers but no sales so far. Only five outbound clicks so, not expecting much.

I will write my own emails from now on. Both Jeff Walker and Russell Brunson have great scripts in their book about writing sales copy, and emails.

FYI - before I started on the email journey, I up-skilled by reading the following:

> Read all post by John Alanis (johna5150) on STM - and others that knew what they were talking about
            > Signed up forJohn's lists and studied his emails
            > Purchased this ebook on cold emailing - http://incomebully.com/ice-cold-emai...ail-marketing/
            > Read Jeff Walkers book, Launch
            > Russell Brunsens book 'Dotcom secrets - https://dotcomsecretsbook.com/get-it-free

Lots of learning but I know it will pay off in the long run.

Hope this helps? Add me on Skype if you want to network My NY's resolution for 16'

Comment

Originally posted by Izzy View Post
              I started this process two months ago.

My first target was dog owners (obsessive, love their dog (emotional) and there are heaps of products to sell them). I setup this site as a lead capture - http://www.doggiemail.net/ - and promoting it on FB, Zeropark (domains), PPV and Bing (PPC). But, opt-in rates were below 1%. CPC on FB were around $0.70. I've since put this campaign on hold and started targeting.... Weight loss.

Big niche. Emotional topic. Others are making money so I can steal/copy.

I've attached my current opt-in rates. I started at around 6% and average 15-17%. I published a WP with okay PLR health articles, then pop a lightbox opt-in form 2 seconds in to the visit. Seems to be working pretty well. Will probably fire up FB and native ads later. Once I get the funnel 'working'.

My biggest problem is the sales funnel. I'm using Sendy with Amazon SES. I copied an autoresponder email squence from an eBook but I should have read through the emails. They're boring and the poor open and click rates reflect this. Lesson learned. Email open and click stats attached too. Email four and a few others have links to Clickbank offers but no sales so far. Only five outbound clicks so, not expecting much.

I will write my own emails from now on. Both Jeff Walker and Russell Brunson have great scripts in their book about writing sales copy, and emails.

FYI - before I started on the email journey, I up-skilled by reading the following:

> Read all post by John Alanis (johna5150) on STM - and others that knew what they were talking about
              > Signed up forJohn's lists and studied his emails
              > Purchased this ebook on cold emailing - http://incomebully.com/ice-cold-emai...ail-marketing/
              > Read Jeff Walkers book, Launch
              > Russell Brunsens book 'Dotcom secrets - https://dotcomsecretsbook.com/get-it-free

Lots of learning but I know it will pay off in the long run.

Hope this helps? Add me on Skype if you want to network My NY's resolution for 16'

Great write up Izzy! Thank you for sharing.

I'd highly suggest you get on a bunch of peoples email lists that are already sending newsletters. Here's how I do this.

I control a domain that I have setup on google apps for email. Then I make a email address alias for each site I'm going to put my email into such as somedietsite@a4d.com this will allow me to build a filter based on that address and stick it in a folder.

Next I'll go to the site and signup.

Then I'll create a "labal" in gmail which is essentially like a folder.

Once I create the "labal" I then make a filter based on the "to" field where I put the somedietsite@a4d.com as the "to" address.

Last I select "mark as read", "skip spam", "label to 'some diet site'"

Now you have a tidy folder that keeps that whole email series for that site.

The guys I think doing the best job on email newsletters are most of the click bank world. I's go to Clickbank then search by Gravity and what vertical you want. Create these captures for the top 5-10 offers and see what comes in. Then start using that as a model to start testing.

Please keep up updated on your adventure.

Success,
              Jason
              >> A4D - CPA Network, 8 years in business, never missed a payment. Sign Up Here! | NEW Skype: live:jasona_33 <<<

Comment

Good idea to keep the inbox under control Jason.

Izzy, a newsletter is a good idea and sounds like it's moving in the right direction. Are you selling anything or offering affiliate offers on or after your site/lander while you are building the list or just in the email follow up sequence?

I collect opt-ins in the financial vertical and always try to find better things to offer for the opt-in and then to get the open rates up. It's worth testing what you are offering for the opt-in and also the headlines on your lightbox. Also, not sure about where your initial traffic is coming from or if it's desktop or mobile, but many of the follow up emails are going to be opened on smart phones or iPads and typically open rates will decline over time, so I always offer them early and often with something to help pay for the list (lead gen, product sale or whatever) I also put the best offers in the early part of the email funnel. I assume since you are offering a newsletter for something people are passionate about your open rates will remain higher as long as you provide value and maybe some interaction like quizzes, surveys, etc.

Also, not sure if you are doing this, but to get something out of the traffic that is not opting in, an exit-intent pop or just straight redirect to a good vsl that is relevant to your audience or a special offer to a quality affiliate product, like Biotrust supplements (CPS with lifetime commissions and they don't re-market your leads to 3rd party offers) might make sense. Or an exit pop that gives them another opportunity to subscribe to your list with some other offer. And don't forget pixels for re-targeting.

I hope you are crushing it

Comment

• Izzy
                  Izzy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not selling them anything just yet - although there are plenty of offers out there. I just wanted to learn the lead capture and email setup side. The opt-in rates were really low so I parked it for now. I may offer a $50 pet voucher or something and give it another crack on PPV traffic opposed to FB. Or perhaps push for likes and build a brand around the page.

Great points. I recently purchased a subscription to a ebook archive (which I can re-sell or offer for free) and a WP quick plugin. To get your results the user has to enter their email address. I think this may be more successful opposed to a hard opt-in.

Will update everyone when I action it. Thanks for your input.

Originally posted by Eric View Post

I helped a famous self help guru with some promotions a few years ago that had about 350k people on his main list which allowed him to make a lot of money every month and be at or near the top of every self help product launch that he wanted to take part in. He also started a small email list of positive quotes that mailed every day and put ads on the bottom of the email for info products or reports or whatever, mostly his own stuff, and was doing $12 to $15k month without even trying to sell anything, people just read the quotes and some of them bought stuff.
                Can you point me to his email. I would like to see what he is offering to the positive quotes traffic. I have tons of similar traffic.

Comment

Great Ideas guys. I have never been a emailer and I regret that I sent millions of dollars worth of traffic to advertisers without gaining the list. Right now, I have a high traffic video search engine website that I built as side project. I have no way to monetize it properly, can't use adsense either. Wondering If I should capture the emails and possibly sell them something later? Any Ideas ?

Comment

• Eric
                    Eric commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah definitely worth a try. There has to be something else you can monetize them with. Could also sell the data or find someone who mails and do a rev share if you don't want to do it.

• Izzy
                    Izzy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If I were you, I'd

- Get a email popup or email widget to capture emails ASAP
                    - Create a coreg funnel and rotate different, broad offers - probably sweeps.

Super intriguing stuff, all this talk about preppers makes me want to start an info product relating to off-grid living and sustainable farming. Thanks for the info, everyone.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Izzy. I'll add something we've done with great success related to capturing emails and mailing them -

In Izzy's case, he's capturing targeted emails of dog lovers so he knows what general offers he can make to his list. We take it a step further and after we exhaust the email list with targeted offers we find what other affinities our lists have by running them through TowerData's Email Intelligence report.

TowerData buys their info from credit card companies so they know a lot about where your list has spent money in the last 6 months.

So you upload your list to TowerData and they spit back tons of information about your list - obvious things like gender and age; but more valuable things like income brackets, home ownership, net worth; marital status; presence of children; home market value; where they've spent their money in the last 6 months; etc. From there you can segment your list further and mail very targeted offers. It's almost unfair how much data they give you.

For example, a recent list of about 110k emails we ran through TowerData showed us which 48.1% of our list was into "Health & Fitness"; and which 41.8% of the list recently purchased "Baby Products" so we mailed offers targeted to those niches.

Well worth checking them out.

Comment

• Izzy
                      Izzy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome share Maximus! Hat tip...

Izzy, I sent you a PM, please check.

To add to what jason said, I do it a lil different. I have bought a shared hosting account which is $1/month and a domain. On it, I setup email aliases for wherever I am opting in, and then have those forwarded to my gmail using gmail aliases yourname+funnelnamereference@gmail.com

This way, I can keep things super organized.

Comment

• Izzy
                      Izzy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sent you an invite Attila.

Izzy I put this post up of my latest process on my blog yesterday. Uses filters and a single address. http://www.oooff.com/php-affiliate-s...e-big-profits/

Comment

• Izzy
                      Izzy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Jason. Good read. This is exactly what I got my VA to setup a little while back and it reminded me to go and check it!

This is a great thread which reminded me I should start milking my own list.

I have a list of 400k emails of super targeted prospects in desktop software vertical where 100k of them were actual customers. I have never emailed them. The list has never been synced to any email delivery platform such Aweber or iContact.

I am wondering how should I start emailing them:

1. I heard it's not allowed to upload single opt-ins list to any mailer. Most of them require a double opt-in list meaning I have to re-opt-in (asking customers to confirm they want to be hearing from me). Which email marketing platforms allow uploading single opt-in lists and not require to re-opt-in?

2. Do I use my the original brand/ domain to email the list, or is it better to create a new brand/ domain for emailing? Pros for the original name is prospects already know the name, Cons they may have forgotten the name and mark the domain as spam, and spam status may flag the domain by Antiviruses when running media campaigns.

Comment

Working...
                    X